Outreach at St. Paul’s is inspired by our calling to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and to love your neighbor as yourself.” As the Bible says in Matthew 29:39, 40 “When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you? and the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, what you have done to these my brothers, even the least of them, you did to Me.” In that spirit, our parish outreach activities are:
- Bread Ministry: Every day we collect bread from Westfield restaurants and grocery stores and deliver it to soup kitchens and food pantries to feed our hungry neighbors.
- Grace’s Kitchen: On the last Wednesday of each month parishioners volunteer at the soup kitchen in Plainfield from 10:00am to 1pm to serve 120 meals to the hungry of Plainfield. Click here to see the schedule for 2018.
- St. John’s Mission Kitchen: Each month the youth of St. Paul’s cook and serve a meal for the hungry and homeless of Elizabeth at St. John’s Episcopal Church.
- Family Promise: We partner with First United Methodist Church, Westfield, to minister to the homeless by providing meals, recreation for the children and overnight supervision.
- Angels for Action: Each Christmas volunteers from the parish sew ten fleece blankets which are donated to Angels for Action, a social service agency in Plainfield. Christmas gifts are also gathered for children whose parents are incarcerated.
- Monthly Donations: Each month parishioners donate approximately 30 grocery bags of specific items to benefit various organizations such as Coalition for the Homeless, Good Shepherd Home, and St. Alban’s Thrift Shop. The donation theme changes monthly based on the needs of the recipient organization. See the list of each month's donation by clicking here.
- Community Resource: St. Paul’s provides space for local non-profit organizations including Boy Scout Troup 77 and a local AA chapter
Please see the Outreach Bulletin Board outside the Rector's office for more information.